Sunday, June 26, 2011

She made it!!

My girl made it all the way to the top of Katahdin!! They were scheduled to hike on Saturday, so they got up bright and early Saturday morning only to be greeted by downpours. They decided to reschedule the hike to that night. I wasn't too crazy about that idea but since I had no way of getting in touch with anyone I just had to deal with it. So I had a glass (2) of wine and then went to bed and prayed till I fell asleep. A night hike is something that more experienced hikers do and since my baby was hiking for the first time in the dark I was one very nervous and worried Momma! I knew the Lord was watching over her as well as her uncles and Daddy and one very special Angel but it was still tough.



The entire family were meeting at Pelletier's Restaurant at 1pm so I kept busy with the other kiddos until it was time to leave. When I got to the restaurant and laid my eyes on Ava I wrapped her in a big bear hug and then cried tears of relief. She was a sight for this Mommas sore eyes! She looked beyond exhausted but she was still standing.


I can't even begin to describe how proud I was of that girl! Shawn said she did awesome, not one complaint. The only trouble they had was when they reached the top and it started to hail and Ava got very cold and ended up vomiting so Shawn let everyone know they needed to head back down after they scattered their Dad's ashes. Shawn and his twin brother had to keep huddling with her between them to warm her up and her Uncle Jeff gave her his jacket but she made it back down that mountain.



I noticed after they got back home and Ava was showered and rested that something was different about her. This trip, this journey that she took matured her, brought her closer to God and gave her a confidence she didn't have before she left. Shawn said he bonded with her like never before. He said he had such a good time with her and was so very proud of her. As worried as I was I am so glad she was able to make this trip with her Daddy and uncles and cousin, it will be an unforgettable memory for her and for Shawn.









No comments: