Friday, June 10, 2011

Memorial Day





Happy Belated Memorial Day my bloggy friends!! How was your Memorial Day? Did you watch a parade, grill out in the backyard, go to the beach, visit a memorial?? I was blessed to be able to spend this Memorial Day weekend with my family.






We started the weekend off with some dinner at my mother-in-law's with my hubby's twin brother and his family and thier younger brother. Then we headed up the road to the ballfield where they all use to play Little League for a fun family game of Softball. Even Maw-Maw took went up to bat and we discovered that she's pretty darn good at hitting the ball!


On Sunday we had all of my hubby's family here at our house for a lovely cookout. The kids played outside for hours while the guys hung out around the grill and the ladies alternated tending the children and the kitchen. I love having big gatherings here, it reminds me of when I was a yound child and all of my Mom's family getting together. It was always my favorite thing to do, and is still some of my fondest childhood memories. Little Landon spent hours with his big cousin Reece, he is such a special young man. I have been able to watch him grow from the time he was born and now he his 13, taller then me and quite a handsome guy.


It was also a little strange to have everyone here excpet my father-in-law. It was really the first holiday gathering with everyone since his passing and he was definately missed. I kept expecting him to walk into my kitchen and strike a conversation about the Lord, his greatest passion. I have to admit, I use to try to duck out of these chats at times, but now I truely miss them. It's funny how true the saying "you don't miss something till it's gone" really is.


On Monday my oldest, Ava, was in our town's parade, she walked with her softball team. It was a very short parade, from where we were standing we could see the beginning and the end at the same time..... After the parade went home to relax for a bit until my family arrived for our second cookout of the long weekend. Being an only child, my family's gatherings are much smaller but I'm working on making up for that with my own larger family!! ;)


Overall it was a wonderful and blessed weekend, and reminded me how greatful I am to all the men and women who have served our country, including my father, father-in-law, grandfather, and grandfather-in-law. Thank you to all you have done and continue to do for this great nation.

No comments: